Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sketchbook 03/29/11 (Ten Faces)

Following are a few pages from the sketchbook, doodled over coffee while reading the morning paper. These are all based on photos from today's New York Times.


The images of the Supreme Court justices reminded me of Randy Newman's 2010 album, Harps and Angels, and I included a quote from the tune "A Few Words in Defense of Our Country."

The Joe Lovano sketch was based on an ad for one of his upcoming appearances. A few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Mr Lovano here in Pittsburgh, when he played at a concert where I volunteer as stage manager. The two of us briefly crashed a wedding reception during intermission.

1 comment:

  1. My wife and I had the pleasure of seeing Randy Newman in Portland, Oregon in the fall of 2009 (at the Aladdin Theater). He did a number of tunes from Harps and Angels, and he did not disappoint the capacity crowd. Right after that gig he hurt his back and had to cancel his European concert tour...I do hope he's feeling better these days.

    p.s. excellent doodling!

    ReplyDelete